Laurett Barrentine Has Betrayed The Public Trust
Elected to guide the city into a more secure future, Ms. Barrentine has instead created a toxic, counterproductive dynamic on Englewood City Council, preventing Council from acting in Englewood’s best interest. Examples include:
- flagrant abuse of power, malfeasance, bullying and unwarranted threats to fire City employees;
- repeated refusal to approve City budgets, jeopardizing essential City services such as police, fire, street repairs, and water;
- using her political power to pressure a District Attorney to threaten a collection agency regarding her personal debt matter;
- falsely accusing a Christian service organization of cruelty and misdeeds;
- regular distortion of facts and outright lies; and
- routinely violating the city charter, including walking out of Council meetings when on the losing side of a vote to prevent the vote from occurring.
Ms. Barrentine’s presence on City Council increases governmental dysfunction and division at a time when Englewood needs to address its challenges and opportunities in good faith. Due to Ms. Barrentine’s failure to represent the best interests of the hardworking taxpayers of District 3, the citizens of District 3 aim to recall Ms. Barrentine and replace her with a Council Member elected to adequately and professionally represent us.